Fishing rods -How to choose the perfect rod?
No doubt the star item used in sport fishing is the fishing rod, around it all the other fishing items and materials will move and adjust, but without the rod nothing would be the same. That’s why we want to offer you all the information you need to go fishing and succeed in the attempt. Today we are going to dedicate to how to choose the best fishing rod, one of the fundamental parts to go fishing.
You will be able to use this guide to find and choose the best fishing rod that fits your needs, according to the type of water (fresh or saltwater), the fishing style you are going to do, the fundamental parts of a rod and all the characteristics that will make a rod medium, low or high range. There are countless fishing styles and each rod must have certain characteristics and features to adapt to the type of fishing in question, from rods for surfcasting, spinning rods, for curry or jigging, to fly-fishing rods or naked pulse rods for coup fishing, each and every one of them has small and large details that make them different from each other so that, in the end, we can have a complete and successful fishing day so let’s go!
Fishing rod manufacturing materials – How are they made?
The final quality of a fishing rod depends on the quality of each of the components that form it separately, and together they will form a great or mediocre fishing rod. There are three fundamental factors to be able to say that we are in front of a good rod:
- The type of material of each component: the material used in each component, such as rings, blanck, rod etc., has a great influence
- Rod ergonomics: the comfort, balance, handling and weight of our rod have an influence here
- The type of fishing reel: choosing a reel that fits the rod is essential, rod and reel must form a perfect combination
For the most nostalgic people, they will still remember those rustic bamboo rods that gave us, as far as possible, good fishing days. Bamboo has been for a long time the main manufacturing material of our rods, because of its resistance and flexibility, bamboo more than fulfilled the demanding fishing afternoons, but bamboo, being a natural material, meant a greater expense both economically in its production and a greater damage to the environment.
The new technologies also arrived to the sport of fishing and the materials for its construction and design also improved, the glass fiber was the first one in action and later the carbon fiber was joined as a construction material of the fishing rods.
The use of these materials made the final result stronger and more resistant rods, as well as the possibility of industrializing and mechanizing the process of building them, lowering costs throughout the process.
This kind of rods made of synthetic material are able to support higher weights and give them more or less flexibility according to tastes and interests, in addition the total weight of the rods is reduced, especially in the carbon fiber rods, highly recommended especially when we talk about rods of a considerable length since its weight is very reduced, therefore its handling and treatment is much more accessible.
4 tips to choose our fishing rod
There are four different aspects to consider before choosing the best fishing rod for your needs:
- The type of fish you want to catch: People usually fish in lakes, oceans, seas or rivers that are closer to their home. It would be very helpful to know and investigate the types of species that inhabit the closest waters, know their habits, food etc. It is advisable for beginner anglers to specialize in one species of fish first, and then later expand their range of catches when they have more experience. As they say “apprentice of many masters of nothing”.
- Knowing the parts of a fishing rod will make you choose better: Understanding and knowing the different parts of a rod will help you decide what works best and what to discard. A rod has many components, such as rings, pointer, blank, handle etc, learning these will make you much more aware of the choice of your rod, you know that “he who has information has power”.
- The type of fishing you want to practice: The choice of a fishing rod depends on whether you are going to fish from the beach (called surfcasting), from a boat, from a pier, jetty, rocks etc. For example, freshwater fishing in a lake or river requires different materials than those you need for saltwater fishing. This is because saltwater fishing materials are made from specific materials designed to prevent corrosion due to sea saltpetre. If you use a freshwater rod to catch saltwater fish, your material can be severely damaged by salt.
- The budget: For a beginner, it is advisable to consider the time you will spend on sport fishing. If you think that fishing can be an activity that you will like, it is advisable to start with medium-cost fishing rods and gradually go deeper and specialize with rods that cost a little more and are of higher quality. For beginner anglers it is usual to start with medium-cost rods, in order to feel the bites in greater detail.