Because a fly fishing reel has no effect on your casting ability, it is often considered the least influential part of a fly fishing setup.
However, selecting the right reel for your rod, your target species, and your chosen fishing conditions is still important, and there are many different options to choose from.
With saltwater fly fishing, then you need equipment that will withstand the harsh circumstances and hammer saltwater to your equipment, so now and later I will be checking for one of the best saltwater fly reels.
From large gazebo reels with integral trawling systems for big game fishing to die-cast aluminum reels designed to save the novice angler money, this article looks at the main options in a range of different categories.
Related Articles: Parts of a Fly Reel Best Fly Reel Under 200 Best Fly Reels Under 100
Best Saltwater Fly Reels [Our best picks]
- Sage Spectrum Fly Fishing Reel
- Aoka Fisherman’s Aluminum Fly Fishing Reel – Best for the Money
- Galvan Torque 5 Fly Reel – Best for saltwater
- Ross Evolution LTX Fly Reel – Best lightweight
- Orvis Clearwater Large Arbor Cassette – Best Cassette Reel
- Redington Behemoth Fly Reel – Best Trawling System
|Sage Fly Fishing Spectrum Fly Reel||8 Reviews||Check Price →|
|Piscifun Aoka Fly Fishing Reels with Cork/Teflon Disc Drag System 3 4 wt Blue||174 Reviews||Check Price →|
|Galvan Torque 5 Fly Reel, Green - with $30 Gift Card||2 Reviews||Check Price →|
|Ross Evolution LTX Fly Reel (Platinum, 5/6)||5 Reviews||Check Price →|
|Orvis Clearwater Large Arbor Cassette||22 Reviews||Check Price →|
|Redington Behemoth 5/6 Fly Reel - O.D Green||171 Reviews||Check Price →|
The Sage Spectrum fly fishing reel is offered in a variety of sizes to match the weight of 3/4 in 9/10 of a line. As the name implies, it is a flexible choice ideal for a wide selection of fly fishing scenarios, being equally lightweight and incredibly durable. In addition, it is cold-forged for extra strength.
The large reel shaft provides a fast retrieval rate and reduced line memory in contrast to other conventional or medium shaft reels, while the concave reel surface ensures greater line capacity.
A highlight of the reel is its own sealed carbon drag system. In addition to keeping water, sand, gravel, and salt in, the system provides smooth engagement and constant pressure, allowing you to catch reluctant fish without worrying about tippet breakage. Starting inertia is minimal. Choose from four colors, including lime, platinum, blue and black.
- Sealed carbon System (SCS) drag keeps out water, sand, Grit, and salt
- One Revolution drag knob with numbered and detented settings
- Large arbor for fast line pick-up, concave arbor for greater strength and capacity
- Machined and anodized aluminum ergonomic handle, easy Conversion from left- to right-hand retrieve
- Fully Machined 6061-T6 aerospace grade aluminum, cold forged and tempered for superior strength and rigidity
Built for people who want an excellent reel without spending a lot of money, the Piscifun Aoka aluminum fly fishing reel is a fantastic budget choice. It includes a machined frame and also a money-saving die-cast reel.
The center shaft design provides a fantastic recovery rate and reduces reel memory for alignment; while the cork/Teflon disc drive system features a one-time clutch bearing for easy and instant participation.
You will be able to convert the left to right reel retrieve easily, while the black and bright blue color scheme looks great on your own pole.
- Three Year Warranty - Your reel has been set at the factory for left-hand retrieve. To convert your reel to right-hand retrieve, please contact us for guidance.
- Smooth Drag - Cork/Teflon disc drag system with one-way clutch bearing for smooth immediate drag engagement.
- Mid-arbor Design - Reducing line memory while also facilitating lightning-quick line pickup.
- Click Drag and Silent Retrieve- Quick spool release with easy left to right hand retrieve change.
- Exquisite Appearance - Fully machined frame and die-cast spool; oversize handle, as with all of our reel series.
Its saltwater-safe spool and distinctive curved wheel frame protect against influence; while the attractive trim design will help maintain the spool’s illumination and provide an impressive strength-to-weight ratio. In addition, it is known for its exceptionally low starting inertia, which may be among the best on the market.
The process of dragging the compression disc on the reel is also very suitable for catching larger saltwater species. It uses the drag knob to produce fast and accurate alterations in record time, allowing uniform line tension to be maintained during battle.
- Innovative, ultra smooth compression disc drag system
- Very low start-up inertia
- Large arbor design
- Easily interchangeable from right to left hand retrieve
- Ported to the maximum, strength-weight-ratio
It is one of the lightest tree fly reels in its class and is ideal for people who love the challenge of ultra-light handle fishing. The steel justifies its high cost with its ingenious machining along with the incredible durability of its aircraft-grade aluminum frame.
The reel is acceptable for use in salt and freshwater and comes in a selection of colors, including green, black, fog gray and sunset orange. It can be converted for abandoned or right-handed recovery.
- Ross Evolution LTX Fly Reel - 5/6WT Platinum - Made in USA
The Orvis Clearwater Big Arbor Cassette is a cast aluminum reel that uses interchangeable spools, giving you the freedom to change alignment and weights in one minute.
It is particularly useful for competitive anglers who may want to change lines in a hurry; or for travel anglers who want to decrease the load on their equipment.
The recording process is also a fantastic budget option, allowing you to accommodate a reel for many different scenarios.
It weighs 6.9 ounces and includes a stacked disk drag using a favorable click knob that produces a constant tension at every turn. It can be converted for left or right-handed recovery.
- Cast aluminum large arbor
- Lightweight powerful inline, Rulon to stainless, stacked disc drag compare with high-performance machined reels
- Clearwater fly reel has a positive click drag knob for consistent settings every time
- Easily converted to either left- or right-hand retrieve
Its rugged carbon fiber drive system has become the most powerful of its kind and is fully adjustable with the help of a large drive knob.
The large reel arrangement allows for remarkable line capacity while reducing reel memory and increasing recovery speed. Choose from a selection of dimensions, from the smallest (sized for a 5-weight trout rod) to the largest (designed for deep-sea fishing with a 12-weight line). Bright color options include black, desert and snobbish.
- Most powerful drag in its class, Adjustable, Carbon Fiber drag
- Unmachinable, unique Die-cast construction, Twin molded, soft-touch ergonomic handles
- LARGE arbor design speeds retrieve and reduces line memory, Easily converts to left or right hand retrieve
- Deep V-Spool for increased backing capacity
- Lifetime warranty
Best Saltwater Fly Reels – Buyer’s Guide
Deciding on the best saltwater fly reels can be a difficult decision to make. As I mentioned before, you have to be sure that you will receive a fantastic solid reel, one that has a sealed drag system to protect it from saltwater along with a reel that will stand the test of time.
Size of arbor
Ideally, you should look for a reel that fits the weight of the fishing rod, since this allows a good balance with the rod. Also, keep in mind that the reel includes a large pole. I usually opt for a huge tree, as this guarantees that I can keep plenty of backlines, fly line, and leader in my reel to fight those fish that prefer to run and operate.
Usually, there are 3 dimensions of trees: regular tree, medium tree or even a huge tree. The size of the tree is the distance between the medium shaft and the base of the reel. It is an important element that must always be taken into account as it stores the funding line, the fly and affects the recovery rate. Reels today are so well manufactured using innovative lasts and technologies that “big” does not necessarily mean heavier.
The weight of this reel as much as the actual weight is also an important aspect to consider as you do not want to be running a very heavy reel on a daily basis as this would cause wrist and arm fatigue.
Another important aspect to consider when choosing a saltwater fly reel is that it really must have a hidden and closed trawling system. This will make sure that you keep the reel away from the salt, sand, and mud that might try to enter if you are fly fishing in the saltwater flats.
If you are looking for a big fish, trawling is a very important factor as it will allow you to put pressure on the fish and pierce it to a point where you can reel it in.
Any well-made saltwater fly reel will be created from CNC machined anodized aluminum. This is the preferred substance of major manufacturers and producers as it is a tried and tested substance that has been proven to defy the components of harsh saltwater environments and is also light but powerful substance.
The stronger your saltwater fly reel is, the longer it will last along with allowing for longer-term saltwater fly fishing.
It is essential to consider the weight variable before finalizing the option. Always match the weight of the reel with a fly rod and the desire to catch a large or small game fish.
Opting for a light reel if you are likely to be walking around the salt flats all day is a great option as the less weight you have to carry, the better.
As mentioned above, make sure you go to a larger pergola so you can make sure you put as much line as possible on the reel, as this will allow you to cover more area.